Ground beef hit $6.89 a pound in July, up 10% from a year ago. Those prices pushed the White House to act, but its latest plan may do little to bring them down.
President Trump said Friday the US will allow up to 300K metric tons of ground beef to be imported over the next 90 days without triggering higher tariff rates. He also said importers have committed to selling that beef at 25% below current market prices.
No documents implementing the directive had been publicly released, and the White House did not identify which countries or companies are involved.
The tariff math does not fully add up
Beef imports face a tariff of roughly 4.4 cents per kilogram until the US quota is filled. Beyond that limit, the rate rises to 26.4%, adding more than $1.80 per kilogram to beef valued at around $7 per kilogram.
Trump's plan suspends the out-of-quota tariff for 90 days. But Altin Kalo, head economist at Steiner Consulting Group, says the out-of-quota tariff has not actually been a major barrier for importers recently.
A record amount of beef is already being imported, he says, meaning the quota trigger point had already been reached and importers were managing.
Kalo also notes that most imported ground beef, primarily from Australia and Brazil, arrives frozen and flows to food service operations, mostly fast food chains.
Many grocery stores use only fresh ground beef in their meat cases. So even cheaper frozen imports may not translate into lower prices on the shelf where most consumers shop.
Cattle supply remains the real bottleneck
The deeper problem is structural. The US entered 2026 with roughly 86.2M cattle and calves, the smallest herd since the 1950s, after years of drought and high production costs pushed ranchers to cut their herds. Industry officials say rebuilding supply takes about two years.
The National Cattlemen's Beef Association criticized Trump's move, saying it won't help rebuild the herd.
CEO Colin Woodall warned that flooding the market with government-subsidized, below-market beef discourages the herd expansion that would actually fix the problem long-term. Cattle markets fell sharply Friday morning after the announcement.
The cattle shortage has also squeezed meatpackers hard. Tyson Foods closed two beef processing plants this year, in Illinois and Utah, and reported a beef operating loss of $138M in its most recent quarter alongside a 15.9% drop in beef volume.
Agricultural economists say the closures likely won't raise prices further because the US already has more processing capacity than it has cattle to fill it.
Packers are restructuring around fewer cows
Average utilization across US fed cattle plants is running around 78%, according to Sterling Marketing Inc. president John Nalivka. Cow slaughter plant utilization is even lower, between 55% and 60%.
Nalivka says that range simply does not work financially and expects more plant closures ahead, particularly at older facilities that cannot compete with newer, automated operations.
JBS recently reversed a planned closure of its Souderton, Pa., plant, instead investing $30M to convert it from slaughter to value-added packaging.
The move preserved roughly 400 jobs but signals the same trend: the industry is restructuring around a smaller cattle supply rather than betting on a quick recovery.
Demand is softening but has not collapsed
There are early signs consumers are hitting a price ceiling. Beef sales volume dipped this summer during what should have been peak barbecue season, while chicken sales rose.
But demand destruction has not arrived. Americans are still expected to consume roughly 29 billion pounds of beef in 2026.
Trump’s proposed 300K metric tons of additional imports would add roughly 2% to total US beef supply, offering limited relief in a market constrained by years of shrinking domestic cattle herds.
